Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wedding: Totems represent the bond of unity

The beauty of the Pacific Northwest Suquamish, Salish, Alaskan, and spirit of all coastal tribal cultures captivates in the two wondrous Tsimshian storypoles that David Horsley carved in 1992 and the Salish Houseposts located in the Pavillion.

Beneath this pole we will unite in a bond of matrimony joined in ceremony with words spoken by Gene Jones Sr. a shaker minister of the S'Klallam Tribe. Gene just so happens to be my Uncle Gene, so I am very blessed to have known my Uncle Gene all my life and to have him be the one to perform the ceremony and marry us.

When I was a little girl I would go on Christmas break to my Aunt and Uncle's and I would always see my Uncle Gene working on something, he would be bending a cedar box, carving something, or smoking fish or be painting on one of his carvings. You see, my uncle is not only a minister, he is an artist, a carver, a singer, a storyteller, a teacher, and a father of a daughter and five grown sons. I would always want to know what he was doing. He always had patience and was always kind. I am so glad that both Auntie Marilyn and Uncle Gene will be an important part of our day!
© wienerhoneymooners. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.